In order to meet the demands of our customers, we have launched a new service that we are able to provide through the all-Group cooperation, that is multimodal transport. In order to ensure the smooth implementation of your order, where there is only one haulage contract, our staff will propose all optimal solutions to minimise the cost of the entire transport.
Multimodal transport is a component in a complex freight transport process, in which cargo is carried by various means within several different modes of transport. The definition of multimodal transport as included in the Convention on International Multimodal Transport of Goods reads as follows:
"International multimodal transport means the carriage of goods by at least two different modes of transport on the basis of a multimodal transport contract from a place in one country at which the goods are taken in charge by the multimodal transport operator to a place designated for delivery situated in a different country".
The concept of multimodal transport actually covers two terms: intermodal transport and combined transport. In practice, they are usually used interchangeably, but they differ in several ways.
- Intermodal transport is the transport of cargoes using different transport modes, but on the condition that they must be in the same transport unit (package, such as container) along the entire route between the consignor and the consignee.
- Combined transport is the transport service where the transport unit is transported, for the most part of the route between the transshipment points by inland waterways, sea or rail, but its delivery from the consignor and to the consignee is by road.
Such transportation is all the more beneficial for the ordering party that they only bear one shipping charge. The rationale behind the use of such service:
- Minimising the cost of transport
- Minimise the transport time
- Streamlining the transport of goods between the producer and consumer.
Types of organisational solutions in the transport process depending on the distance and the availability of transport means
- Road-rail transport
- Road-water transport
- Road-rail-water transport
- Road-air transport
- Road-rail-air transport
- Road-sea transport
- Rail-sea transport
- Road-rail-sea transport.